Six Short ‘Rules’ for Young (and not so young) Christians
One of my favorite magazines is “The Banner of Truth.” It’s a simple little magazine, printed in the UK. There are no pictures or advertisements. It’s focus is to bring back into public view the Gospel-centered, God-saturated Truths the Lord has used throughout history to bring people to Himself, to strengthen His church and to display His glory. Some articles are contemporary, many are reprints from faithful saints in the past. All of them are a feast for the spiritually hungry eyes of those who long to see God! An article that appeared back January 2015 gave six “rules” for young Christians that I believe are a helpful reminder to us all, especially in these crazy times! I share them hoping they will help you.
1. Never neglect daily private prayer; and when you pray, remember that God is present, and that He hears your prayers. (Heb. 11:6).
2. Never neglect daily private Bible reading; and when you read remember that God is speaking to you, and that you are to believe and act upon what He says. I believe all backsliding begins with the neglect of these two rules. (John 5:39).
3. Never let a day pass without trying to do something for Jesus. Every night reflect on what Jesus has done for you, and then ask yourself, “What am I doing for Him”? (Matt. 5: 13-16) [I would clarify, ”doing” in joyful obedience, not just as a duty]
4. If you are in doubt as to a thing being right or wrong, go to your room and kneel down and ask God’s blessing on it. (Col. 3:17). If you cannot do this (ask God’s blessing for it), it is wrong and you should avoid it. (Rom. 16:23).
5. Never take your Christianity from other Christians, or argue that because such and such people do so , therefore, you may. (2 Cor. 10:12). You are to ask yourself, “How would Christ act in my place”? And strive to follow His lead. (John 10:27)
6. Never believe what you feel, if it contradicts God’s Word. Ask yourself, “Can what I feel be true if God’s Word is true”? And if BOTH cannot be true, believe God and understand that your own heart is the liar. (Rom. 3:4. 1 John 5:10-11)
Resting, Seeking, Growing in Him by His Grace and His Word!
Pastor S. Scott Lee